Immerse Yourself in Turkish Local Culture
Go beyond the ordinary and become a true traveler!
Discover The Artist Within!
Choose the topic that interests you the most!
- This event has passed.
Workshop on Traditional Book Arts: Calligraphy, Illumination (Tezhip) and Miniature Painting
September 19, 2016 @ 10:00 - 12:3060$
Overview / Description / Introduction
Calligraphy, Illumination (Tezhip) and Miniature Painting are three different traditional forms of art from the Ottoman times. These arts were all used to illustrate manuscript books. The illustration of manuscript books was well established in Ottoman times. The tradition lives on. Traditional book arts are such demanding that some artists of the Ottoman Era devoted their entire lives completing a manuscript.
In this workshop, three artists will be presenting traditional book arts in three work groups. You will be able to try each of these arts with their artists and make your own works of art and keep them as souvenirs. The attendants will also be given practical tutorials on how to write single calligraphic letters and combine them to form words. Besides, you will be more familiar with the materials and tools used in these arts in general.
- Hands-on instructions on how to make traditional arts
- Experience calligraphy writing, a spiritual geometry produced with materials.
- Interact with the local artists to learn about their lives involving their art
- Get familiar with the history and tradition of these arts
- This workshop is for all levels of enthusiasts of varying abilities
- This workshop is led by expert local artists
- Ask questions directly to the artists
- Use the same professional materials just like traditional artists do.
- Take home your own artwork.
- Discover the artist within!
- All equipment and materials needed.
- Commentary and translation services in English by a professional local guide
- Tea or coffee and cookies
- Hotel pickup and drop off
Recurring Event :
Every Monday – Morning Session at 10:00am–12:30pm
Afternoon Session at 1:30pm – 4:00pm
Price Per Person / Per Session : $60.00 US Dollars
Where is C.I.P? How convenient is the location?
Even if you are not staying in this vicinity, you will likely be in our neighborhood as we are only 5-minute walking distance from Taksim Square or the pedestrian street of Istiklal. The Çukurcuma Antiques neighborhood is nearby too.
How to get to C.I.P from Taksim Square?
Take the Sıraselviler street, pass the German Hospital, enter the Soğancı street by turning left from the corner of the Güllüoğlu Baklava store.
Second block on the right. Private car park is available at the Soğancı street.