Immerse Yourself in Turkish Local Culture
Go beyond the ordinary and become a true traveler!
Discover The Artist Within!
Choose the topic that interests you the most!
- This event has passed.
Workshop with Whirling Dervishes – Mevlevi Sema Ritual
October 13, 2016 @ 19:00 - 21:0045$
Overview / Introduction / Description
The Mevlevi Sema Ritual was a synthesis of spiritual love attained by a combination of music and whirling, and was considered to be the basic requirement for spiritual devotion.
Whirling dervishes are members of the Mevlevi Order and followers of Rumi, a great Turkish poet and mystic. The Mevlevi brotherhood is based in Konya, Turkey, where its founder is buried.
The Mevlevi order derived its essence, rites, moral code and discipline from the mystical path first shown by Rumi.
The workshop will start with a short video presentation to introduce you to Sufi music and Whirling Dervishes. Then, a whirling dervish and a Sufi musician will give you the essentials of this movement. They will show parts of the ritual with live demonstrations. You can ask questions directly to them. They will give you first-hand information. You can even try your own whirling trials.
- A short video presentation on Sufi music and Whirling Dervishes.
- Watch parts of the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage ceremonial ritual during this workshop.
- Interviews with a whirling dervish and a Sufi musician.
- Your own whirling trials.
- You will be taken to a different world.
- Receive complimentary Quick Guide Pamphlets on this topic.
- Enjoy a drink and some Turkish delight as the show starts.
- Commentary and translation services in English by a professional local guide
- Tea, coffee and cookies
- Complimentary Quick Guide Pamphlets on this topic
- Hotel pickup and drop off
Recurring Event : Every Thursday 19:00 – 21:00
Price Person : $45.00 US Dollars
Where is C.I.P? How convenient is the location?
Even if you are not staying in this vicinity, you will likely be in our neighborhood as we are only 5-minute walking distance from Taksim Square or the pedestrian street of Istiklal. The Çukurcuma Antiques neighborhood is nearby too.
How to get to C.I.P from Taksim Square?
Take the Sıraselviler street, pass the German Hospital, enter the Soğancı street by turning left from the corner of the Güllüoğlu Baklava store. Second block on the right.
Private car park is available at the Soğancı street.