Immerse Yourself in Turkish Local Culture
Go beyond the ordinary and become a true traveler!
Discover The Artist Within!
Choose the topic that interests you the most!
- This event has passed.
Workshop on Traditional Bookbinding (Ciltcilik)
April 3, 2015 @ 16:00 - 18:0045$
Overview / Introduction / Description
Ever since the invention of reading and writing, protective covers have been made to protect books and to keep their pages in order without bending. With the increasing use of leather, the practice developed into an art known as “cild” (Arabic for leather or hide), the art of bookbinding. This art rose to a profession among the Uighur Turks. The binding of sacred texts and documents and later of books of all kinds, and the subsequent decoration commensurate with the value of the works that they contained became a widespread practice.
The bookbinding workshop is a hands-on experience worth seeing and trying. It is such an interesting and unusual experience.
- An interactive course program, which is designed for beginners to learn & practice the Art of Bookbinding.
- Q&A session with the artist
- Get hands-on instruction on how to make this art
- Learn the history and tradition of Bookbinding
- Interact with the artisan and learn about his/her life regarding his art.
- Create your own artwork.
- Discover the artist within.
- This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Don’t miss it.
- All equipment and materials
- Commentary and translation services in English by a professional local guide
- Tea, coffee and cookies
- Hotel pickup and drop off
Regular Event on Specific Dates :
03 April 2015 Friday 16:00 – 18:00
08 May 2015 Friday 16:00 – 18:00
Price Person : $45.00 US Dollars
Where is C.I.P? How convenient is the location?
Even if you are not staying in this vicinity, you will likely be in our neighborhood as we are only 5-minute walking distance from Taksim Square or the pedestrian street of Istiklal. The Çukurcuma Antiques neighborhood is nearby too.
How to get to C.I.P from Taksim Square?
Take the Sıraselviler street, pass the German Hospital, enter the Soğancı street by turning left from the first corner. Second block on the right.
Private car park is available at the Soğancı street.