Workshop with Whirling Dervishes – Mevlevi Sema Ritual
The Mevlevi Sema Ritual was a synthesis of spiritual love attained by a combination of music and whirling, and was considered to be the basic requirement for spiritual devotion.
Whirling dervishes are members of the Mevlevi Order and followers of Rumi, a great Turkish poet and mystic. The Mevlevi brotherhood is based in Konya, Turkey, where its founder is buried.
The Mevlevi order derived its essence, rites, moral code and discipline from the mystical path first shown by Rumi.
The workshop will start with a short video presentation to introduce you to Sufi music and Whirling Dervishes. Then, a whirling dervish and a Sufi musician will give you the essentials of this movement. They will show parts of the ritual with live demonstrations. You can ask any kind of questions directly to them. They will give you first-hand information. Then, you can even try your own whirling trials.
- A short video presentation on Sufi music and Whirling Dervishes.
- Watch parts of the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage ceremonial ritual during this workshop.
- Interviews with a whirling dervish and a Sufi musician.
- Your own whirling trials.
- You will be taken to a different world.
- Receive complimentary Quick Guide Pamphlets on this topic.
- Enjoy a drink and some snacks.
- Commentary and translation services in English by a professional local guide
- Tea, coffee and cookies
- Complimentary Quick Guide Pamphlets on this topic.
- Hotel pickup and drop off. Our guests are expected to get to our place on their own. Please see the descriptions below.
Two-Hour Private Sessions are available: Please ask for available days and hours
Price Per Person : If you are minimum five guests, the price will be $45 USD per person. Please ask for a quote for less number of participants.
How to Book?
- You can just send an e-mail to email@example.com
Where is C.I.P? How convenient is the location?
Even if you are not staying in this vicinity, you will likely be in our neighborhood as we are only 5-minute walking distance from Taksim Square or the pedestrian street of Istiklal. The Çukurcuma Antiques neighborhood is nearby too.
How to get to C.I.P from Taksim Square?
Take the Sıraselviler street, pass the (former) German Hospital, enter the Soğancı street by turning left from the corner of the Pharmacy. Second block on the right. The name of our building is Cihangir Palas. There is a real estate agency at the ground floor of the building. We have an elevator and we are on the third floor.
Private car park is available at the Soğancı street.