Workshop on Traditional Book Arts: Calligraphy, Illumination (Tezhip) or Miniature Painting ($45 USD per person for either form of art)
Calligraphy, Illumination (Tezhip) and Miniature Painting are three different traditional forms of art from the Ottoman times. These were all used to illustrate manuscript books. The illustration of manuscript books was well established in Ottoman times. The tradition lives on. Traditional book arts are such demanding that some artists of the Ottoman Era devoted their entire lives completing a manuscript.
Please pick one of these arts, and in this workshop, the artist will be presenting techniques of his art. You will be able to try the form of art you pick and make your own works of art and keep them as souvenirs. You will be familiar with the materials and tools used in these arts in general.
- Hands-on instructions on how to make traditional arts
- Interact with the local artists to learn about their lives involving their art
- Get familiar with the history and tradition of these arts
- This workshop is for all levels of enthusiasts of varying abilities
- This workshop is led by expert local artists
- Ask questions directly to the artists
- Use the same professional materials just like traditional artists do.
- Take home your own artwork.
- Discover the artist within!
- All equipment and materials needed.
- Commentary and translation services in English by a professional local guide
- Tea or coffee and cookies
- Hotel pickup and drop off. Our guests are expected to get to our place on their own. Please see the descriptions below.
Two-Hour Private Sessions are available: Please pick which form of art you are interested, and ask for available days and hours.
Price Per Person : If you are minimum four guests, the price will be $45 USD per person. Please ask for a quote for less number of participants.
How to Book?
- You can just send an e-mail to email@example.com
Where is C.I.P? How convenient is the location?
Even if you are not staying in this vicinity, you will likely be in our neighborhood as we are only 5-minute walking distance from Taksim Square or the pedestrian street of Istiklal. The Çukurcuma Antiques neighborhood is nearby too.
How to get to C.I.P from Taksim Square?
Take the Sıraselviler street, pass the (former) German Hospital, enter the Soğancı street by turning left from the corner of the Pharmacy. Second block on the right. The name of our building is Cihangir Palas. There is a real estate agency at the ground floor of the building. We have an elevator and we are on the third floor.
Private car park is available at the Soğancı street.