Workshop: Blowing Sufi Music Instrument “Ney”, end-blown flute ($45.00 USD per person)
Sufi Music is central to the Sema ceremony of the whirling dervishes, which is set to a form of music called Ayin (Ritual). The Ney is an end-blown flute that figures prominently in Sufi music. The ney has been played for 4000-5000 years; it is one of the oldest musical instruments, which is still in use. The ney consists of a piece of hollow reed with six finger holes and one thumb hole.
At this workshop, participants will be introduced to this traditional instrument, and will be offered the opportunity to try blowing the almost-impossible ney. You can also ask questions of the artist and have more information about this instrument and the kind of people who play this and where they play.
- Enjoy live ney performance
- Become acquainted with the ney, the traditional Sufi music instrument
- Get information about the history, meaning and culture of the instrument
- Learn how to blow or renew your old skills in a friendly, fun and relaxed atmosphere
- See if your blow will turn into a sound at your first workshop.
- You can borrow a ney from the CIP to work with during the workshop
- Commentary and translation services in English by a professional local guide
- Tea, coffee and cookies
- Hotel pickup and drop off. Our guests are expected to get to our place on their own. Please see the descriptions below.
Two-Hour Private Sessions are available: Please ask for available days and hours
Price Per Person : If you are minimum four guests, the price will be $45 USD per person. Please ask for a quote for less number of participants.
How to Book?
- You can just send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Where is C.I.P? How convenient is the location?
Even if you are not staying in this vicinity, you will likely be in our neighborhood as we are only 5-minute walking distance from Taksim Square or the pedestrian street of Istiklal. The Çukurcuma Antiques neighborhood is nearby too.
How to get to C.I.P from Taksim Square?
Take the Sıraselviler street, pass the (former) German Hospital, enter the Soğancı street by turning left from the corner of the Pharmacy. Second block on the right. The name of our building is Cihangir Palas. There is a real estate agency at the ground floor of the building. We have an elevator and we are on the third floor.
Private car park is available at the Soğancı street.